Some of your patients have young carers in their families. They are often involved with aspects of their family member’s care and can be impacted by the situation in many ways themselves. Consider the following:
- Be honest and transparent with them when they ask questions about their family member’s health, care plan, and other needs.
- Provide information that is age appropriate so they can understand what is going on and how to properly care for their family member if they need to. Provide information about what to expect in the short and long term, including future care needs, if applicable.
- Develop crisis plans with them for emergency situations, including people who can be called any time of day or night.
- Provide young carers with information about relevant community supports.
- Don’t underestimate the impact you’re having as a caring adult.
- Share this information with your colleagues, other community members, and young carers.